Tuesday, 26 August 2014

P6/7 Learn about Dewey

P6/7 came for an official library visit today.  They'd done some research about Melvil Dewey, so were up to speed on his birth date and long life.  Explaining how his invention worked to benefit everyone was a little harder.  When I told them about the British Library there was disbelief - frstly that you have to train to be a librarian, and secondly that there might be miles of book shelves (there are over 380, I've just looked it up!)
To try out Dewey's system we did a book treasure hunt.  I had two sets of cards one with subjects to find in the subject index, and one with dewey numbers to find books for.  The group found this really exciting (althogh it's frustrating when the book for your number isn't on the shelf).  When they'd found all the books / subjects we collected the cards in number groups on the table, to hopefully show that the same sort of subjects stick together.  If I do this again I will make more of an effort to pick numbers that will make this clear.
Mrs Irving is going to ask the class to create me a poster that shows the broad dewey classifications, so I'm looking forward to displaying it in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment